Thursday, October 9, 2014

End of the Murderous First Quarter!

Well, this quarter has been pretty chaotic, and, this being the last time I get to blog about it, I'll just highlight some stuff that I've been doing outside of class.

I was approached by a classmate asking if I could help them design a brochure for Cross Country. She was just the student aide of the photography teacher, and didn't seem to really know what she was doing. After she was let off the project, I managed to stay on to finish it.
Well... I completely redid it...
She started it in Photoshop, the only Adobe program you'd use for photography.
I redid it with InDesign.

A small preview

It was made for it to be folded, so the girl's are on the back, and the raven is on the front.

My second large project was an absolute nightmare, but mostly because poor planning... It's all a learning experience, I suppose.

My AP Art Studio teacher, also the teacher for National Art Honor's Society, usually uses Word to design a Calendar every year to get money for NAHS. We then use that money to do a variety of stuff like go on field trips. This year, she sought me out to do it, seeing that I probably could do it better than her.

It took me an hour to get everything plotted out on InDesign, and then I just waited for her to get me pictures. During that time, my graphic design teacher took the liberty to remind me every other day that I should start on it and have everything plotted out already, and every time I would remind her that I have it all done with already and I just needed pictures.

Man was I wrong..
I took an entire day just of Calendar stuff.. She had specific holidays she wanted to be showcased, with artist's birthdays. After I wrote those in, double checking some I was unsure on if they would change (Presidents day is always a Monday, while last year the date would make it a Tuesday) I then had to completely reformat it so that it would print right, because folded, one month shows the other's picture...
I then had to go around matching the months, getting artist names, double checking the spelling, and putting in the medium used...
How to fix this?
Request straight up what picture she wanted for each month, and the artist's full name and medium.
And then what dates she wanted to showcase, and just spend half an hour googling dates and writing them down.

Anyway, a sample of the cover.
Sure, the names aren't exactly centered correctly, but it was hard to get everything done as fast as she wanted it to be x_x

Oh, and, to make matters better, a friend of mine looked over the format after I went home, and I was told he reformatted it again because some stuff didn't match up.
So I'm waiting to see how they turned out, and if he messed things up...
(He doesn't have any knowledge with graphic design or InDesign...)'

I was told that I was supposed to have three pictures, but really, I like keeping just one sample picture per project... Weeee..

Bye bye people!

No comments:

Post a Comment